1. Use candles. There is nothing more glamorous and flattering than candlelight.
2. Turn off overhead lighting. Most rooms have a large light in the middle of the ceiling. Don't use it. Overhead lighting casts very unflattering shadows. Hollywood uses overhead lighting as a technique for aging actors and actresses.
3. Use table lamps. Diffused light from lamps at eye level creates the most flattering and soft glow.
5. Use low-wattage bulbs. For lamps that aren't on a dimmer, use 25-watt bulbs.
6. Choose elegant lamp shades. A thin white shade will allow too much bright light to pass through. Opt for opaque shades that cast light up and down.
8. Include mirrored pieces in your furnishings. Mirrored consoles, tables and trays reflect candlelight beautifully and add instant glamour.
10. Build a fire. Who doesn't feel gorgeous in front of a fire? Fire light is the ultimate romantic and flattering light source.